This Christmas break, a 15 man TYP team will embark on a two-week Indian adventure spanning 2000km across the scenic west coast of India. Of course, like any trip full of 18 year olds, we’ll create our own adventures exploring the rich culture of the beautiful sub continent, but with our very own TYP twist.We understand that we’re in an extremely privileged position to be able to take education, shelter and food as givens. As much as we’d enjoy roaring through the roads in 4 pimped out rickshaws, we would rather focus on taking this opportunity to give back to the underprivileged young people in India. Seeing as we’d be there during the Christmas period, we could think of no better way of enjoying the ride while doing our bit to show how grateful we really are. We hope that you too join us in sharing your love during this festive time by donating to our fund, so that it becomes a bit easier for our team to make it possible.
The Charitable Aspect
Each penny of your donation will directly sponsor the aspect of the trip where we give back. We’re really excited by the range of ideas and opportunities that we will take with us to India to make a difference. Here’s an idea of what we plan on doing:
- Homeless Drives – We’re going to do a homeless drive in each major city that we drive through. In India, we understand that thermals gloves probably aren’t the best thing, so the focus will be on providing them with a hot meal and taking the time to have a conversation with them to really try and understand their story.
- Christmas Dinner – Christmas might not be huge thing in India, but coming from predominantly Christian countries, our team has always grown up with the culture of giving in the festive period. We wanted to go a step further this Christmas by cooking dinner ourselves for the children in the slums of Dharavi, Mumbai – one of the largest slums in the world.
- The Rickshaws – Initially, we thought there’d be no use to our rickshaws at the end of our trip. But we soon came to realise, that there was no better way to alleviate poverty for a family than to give them a fully-repaired rickshaw that provides them with a source of long term income. The impact we would have could be genuinely life-changing, as it has the potential to give these families the opportunity to fund an education for their children or to simply have a better quality of life
- Mobile Classrooms – Education and lack of skills is often why young children in India don’t have the opportunity to pursue their career aspirations. We’ll be taking with us notepads, papers and learning resources such as books to set up classrooms when we think the children in a village don’t have access to the education they need. We understand we can’t coach all these skills in the day that we spend teaching, but what we hope to accomplish is inspiring these children to chase their own education and dreams.
- Football Games – Sport is seen as a religion in these impoverished conditions. These young people find ways, whether it be with a tin can or ball of paper to have a kick about. We’ve seen the amazing effect that building sports pitches through our Sports Project in Ahmedabad has had on the young people there and we hope to do the same with football and cricket in some of the villages we visit. We want to spend the day getting involved in a bit of friendly competition with the locals and leaving behind some resources so that they can play with real equipment in the future
Its a project the entire TYP Global Team is extremely excited about and we hope that you are just as excited. Without your donations, we can’t begin to achieve any of this.
If you’d like to see where your money goes, we’re going to be vlogging the entire trip on our YouTube channel so that we can share the entire experience with you!